Inspired by every student whose told they can’t be an artist because it doesn’t “make enough money”.
this is a very easy thing to say of you’ve never been totally skint
money doesn’t buy happiness, but I’d rather be sad and able to feed myself after paying rent
'it doesn't take much to live comfortably” is a naïve statement to make
I agree, this is very…out of touch. And, it certainly does take a lot of money to “Own a yarn shop!” Plus, “loving to knit” has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with owning that yarn shop. Owning a yarn shop is maintaining a business wherein you buy yarn from suppliers and pay people to help you sell that yarn to other people who, oh, say, aren’t spending their time running yarn shops…
Plus, you have to pay for the lease on the shop space itself, pay for the electricity to run the lights, more electricity or maybe the gas to heat the place, advertising to let people know about it, pay the ridiculous prices for the cash register and attendant software (because that’s a niche racket for independent shops), pay for the water and sewer bills because the space will have those somewhere, pay for the maintenance of that entire retail space, pay for the security system services, pay for other little things you might not realize, like, say, if you want to play music legally, it has to be licensed and not just the radio or some music you have—I worked for an independent toy store and saw a lot of this firsthand…
I love comics from people who don’t actually live in the real world where responsibilities and consequences happen. They’re always a fascinating insight into a realm where you can just live happily on hobbies, wishes and pixie-dust farts.
Especially at the absurd prices the yarn stores get for pixie-dust farts today!
Look, I don’t mind this kind of advice, but they need an addendum: you have to understand that you may not be able to make a living doing the thing that makes you happiest in life. It’s worth looking into. It’s worth trying. But you might find out that it’s not happening for you — or that you can still enjoy your passions as hobbies (maybe even ones that bring in a little extra income as a bonus!) while you get another job to pay the bills.
I’ve spent most of my adult life following my creative passions, and I’ve had some amazing opportunities because of it. I’ve had jobs that people go “oh my god that must be SO FUN”, I’ve had my work on store shelves. I’ve officially written material for Transformers, G.I. Joe, Spider-Man, Kingdom Hearts, Mega Man, and more. I’ve done comic work both written and art. I know industry pros, I’ve gotten to travel, I’ve done some work that makes me and others happy. Fuck, we’re making a toy line, for crying out loud. Stuff that my high-school self could only dream of.
I’ve also spent good chunks of my adult life working annoying, soul-sucking, physically and mentally strenuous, thankless jobs in retail, offices, and food service between-slash-during those “dream jobs”, because “dream jobs” aren’t automatically self-sustaining, never-ending projects. Companies close. Markets shift. Rights-owners contract elsewhere. Upper managements change and have their own favored people to work with. Shit happens.
I still keep at my passions. Aside from the ongoing work on Transformers and the aforementioned toys, the last couple years I’ve been fortunate to do work with some amazingly talented people who are putting their passions on screen in the online video realm, and they’ve inspired me and best-friend-slash-creative-partner Trent to go at it ourselves, and it’s been very rewarding… creatively. Financially, well, it’s a little bit of lunch money, I can get some cheese and bacon on my fast-food burger. But not once have I got it into my head that the best idea evar would be to not work some other job that sustains me financially as I work on things I love because YOUR PASSION HAPPY IS MOST IMPORTANT EVAR
I fucking CAN’T. The real world keeps shitting in my cornflakes and I’ve got fucking financial responsibilities that could have dire consequences if not taken care of, and a goddamn Blip check for a few bucks a month ain’t gonna cut it. As it is, I’m pretty lucky to even be where I am now, as I kinda owe my family a LOT for helping me through rough years in several ways (and frankly I hate that I’ve had to but I kinda like living indoors and eating first-hand food). I’m fortunate I haven’t had some kind of medical emergency, because there’s some shit that’ll financially ruin you for a long long time.
I’m not saying “don’t follow your passions”. Your hobbies and passions should help keep you sane, lift your spirits, give you release. And I know several people who DO make a living by doing the thing they love. It IS worth looking into.
But comics like this virtually never have any grounding in reality and just barf up a message of extreme lack of self-awareness. I legitimately wonder what kind of life the people who make these live, socio-economics-wise, how much they got from their parents. How old they are. The people I know who are making their livings on webcomics or online videos or in video games or whatever by and large not only went through the “shit job” phase, the reason they make their living now was because they WORKED DAMN HARD at their passions for a long time to get it there. I see the production schedules they keep and it’s staggering. And a lot of them STILL work damn hard and are amazing talents but still need that extra boost because well, shit happens.
Just because you can knit a baby sweater doesn’t mean you can successfully operate a damn store that will forever sustain you financially.
Follow your passions, but not over a fucking cliff. Not everyone was given a parachute.
The lesson I can impart to anyone who wants to actively pursue their passions in a job that’s focused around your creativity and something you really enjoy doing?
DON’T BE AN IDIOT.
I didn’t get to make Atop the Fourth Wall my job overnight. In fact, I was still working at Barnes and Noble for about a year or two before I finally decided to make the videos my priority. And why did I make that decision? Because at that point, I was making more money doing the videos than I was working at Barnes and Noble. The decision was justified in that I could make more money if I focused my time exclusively towards the videos.
And even then, I WAS still living with my parents at the time as a safety net. I wasn’t going to be an idiot by just burning my bridges and expecting to become crowned-king at this.
YES, pursue your passions and dreams… but don’t be a friggin’ idiot about it.
- Aries eyes: Sharp, alert, wide-eyed intense/very focused and often almond shaped. Has a heroic staring into the distance eyes. Mars-ruled people will look you straight in the eye, as if they were directly focusing on making eye contact with you.The brows are very pronounced. They hold straight eye contact and seem to have a “bored” look unless they are talking about an interesting subject.
- Taurus eyes: These Earthy Venus-ruled people have doe-eyes that exude innocence but beware of the bull staring you down. The eyes are usually darker shades of earthy color, depending on the rising sign. Relaxed eyes, emotionally reserved, but also vulnerable looking. Taurus often have sanpaku eyes, where the white is showing prominently under the iris making it look as if they are always looking up. Think Robert Pattinson and Audrina girl from the Hills but Solar Taurean’s.
- Gemini eyes: I know something you don’t know…mischevious glint in their eyes. Gemini eyes dart from here to there always interested in the next thing Inspecting the surroundings curiously. alert, quick-moving eyes are often the easiest way to recognize them. Their eyes are sparkling most of the time. Naughty. The true lolita of the zodiac bright eyed youthful and seemingly innocent.
- Cancer eyes: Anime like. Can be big round like the moon but can also be almond shaped. Innocent, kind of sad, sweet, and slightly scared looking. Lunar people’s eyes have a watery effect like they can stare into your soul. Really reflective eyes. This is the sign most associated with photographic memory so be careful they will take a pic. and store it away forever.
- Leo eyes: Playfully seductive look in their eyes, like “look at me, aren’t I charming?” I always think of Megan Fox’s expression (leo rising) They have those heavy eyelids that make them to appear lion-like, and they usually have a tendency to blink slowly, just like a lion. When you look at them they seem vibrant and commanding. Some Leo risings have honey suckle eyes or a golden color. Like sun rays shooting out at you they are usually very capable of winning people over just by a warm glance. When they are mad??? wait for it……RAAAAAAAAWWWR!!! Their eyes turn dark and intense with a fearless glare when pushed to a temperamental point.
- Virgo eyes: Mercurial qualities give an Intense and shining glimmer in the eyes of Virgo. Virgo sun sign peeps seem to have big round eyes while Virgo rising’s seem to have deep set beady little eyes. Depth in their eyes, Serious stares, focused eyes that always have a coherent look with reason and sobriety. Usually smirking shyly and intensely like they’re strongly focused on a thought. Long freakish eyelashes. Many Virgo’s have clear green eyes but not always some are brown.They see EVERYTHING. Those small details you think no one notices, think again because Virgo already has.
- Libra eyes: Venusian qualities gives them Symmetrical eyes. Extremley sparkly eyes. Romantic gaze. Charming and Cunning. Flirty eyes, They look like they are trying to charm the pants off you. Love to look at themselves in the mirror. just watch a Libra flirt with themselves next time you hang out with one. Happy eyes. Peaceful content with the universe, basically, is the best way I can put it. Passive and sweet.
- Scorpio eyes: Have a piercing quality. Magnetic and penetrating. Hypnotic. Mysterious. Be aware, of their hypnotizing ability, they can literally put you in a trance with just one look. Glistening when contented and flaming when disgruntled. Like a laser Scorpio will use their eyes to scan everything. They can talk with their eyes, without even saying a word they can just shoot you a look and you know. A serious and deep “I know” look with some kind of sexual undertone.
- Sagittarius eyes: Bright and honest eyes. Usually seem to have a glint in their eyes like children being playful. Devious eyes like Gemini but can look ditzy (Sag. rising especially) This is because they are usually off in their mind planning their next adventure or trip to foriegn lands. Almost always all Sag’s have close set eyes. I think of a very ambitious and self-centered look in the eyes (though sags aren’t really self centered…) but they are the most judgmental of the zodiac and have a strong 6th sense so watch out.
- Capricorn eyes: Usually have deep eyes, that look like they are working some sort of magic you don’t know about. Calm, composed and Serious look to the eyes. Narrow their eyes when displeased. Prone to dark eye circles, eye bags, wrinkles under eyes. For the girls…a bitchy look, like they don’t like you all that much. Awkward and shy looking, sorry cap girls. The guys don’t look awkward, but confident.
- Aquarius eyes: It’s like they are here but somewhere else mentally, a very spaced out aloof look. They can look cold and have perfected the art of the icy gaze. Think of Medusa ( Aquarius sun), just one look could turn you into stone. Gorgeous, obviously, but slightly spacie looking. All the Aquarians I know have amazing eyes but they can space right out with them. Like replicants. Crazy mad scientist eyes. I think of Eminem (aqua moon)
- Pisces eyes: This sign has the most beautiful eyes in the zodiac! Usually clear blue but not always. Dreamy, Enigmatic, crystal clear eyes. Severe light water eyes and can even look drugged out. Khamelion eyes, sometimes the pupils can dialate much bigger than normal. Pisces women have that “staring off in the distance” look with eyes that are wide set. sad, very compassionate, “I feel the world’s suffering” look in the eyes. vulnerability and definitely “fish-like” features.
- You can see some of these qualities of the different signs in people who don’t have that zodiac sign because of the planetary placements in their birth chart’s . For example, You are a Pisces but have the Venusian qualities of flirting with yourself in the mirror. You might take a look at your birth chart and find that your venus is very prominent. Maybe sun conjunct Venus for example.
IN THE FIFTH GIF HE PATS THE CUPS WITH HIS LITTLE PAWS TO MAKE SURE IT’S IN. BRB, DYING.
romanticize the fuck out of life if thats how you cope who cares fuck those text posts that are like “your life will never be a wes anderson movie” well of course it won’t but i’m buying that cute yellow tea kettle anyways motherfucker dont harsh my vibes
Well it’s that time in my life when i desperately need money. It’s kind of old pricelist, but i don’t remember having much of the orders, so i hope low prices will get attention.